What is Prenatal & Postnatal Physiotherapy?
Physio2U offers physical therapy services that address the specific needs of the prenatal and postpartum periods of life. The body goes through many changes during pregnancy, birth and after childbirth. Often these events present a range of conditions that affects the everyday functioning of your body. Physiotherapy services are helpful to improve not only pelvic floor health, but a range of conditions. Too often new parents feel the conditions they are experiencing are part of their ‘new normal’, uncontrollable conditions that come with being pregnant and giving birth. That simply is not the case. Through proper education, hands on treatment and home based exercises these conditions can be treated and further complications can be reduced.
What conditions can be treated?
- Pregnancy related pelvic girdle pain
- Posture analysis and advice throughout pregnancy
- General body aches and pains associated with pregnancy
- Birth prep recommendations – physical conditioning for birth and recommendations for early post-partum period
- Assistance with activity guidelines throughout pregnancy
- Diastasis management
- Pelvic floor recovery – pelvic pain, incontinence, and prolapse management
- Return to activity assessment and guidance
- Postural assessment and recommendations
- Body mechanics 101 for caring for baby
- Pain or adhesions following abdominal or pelvic surgery
Treatment may include:
- Full body assessment and treatment
- Rost therapy for pelvic girdle pain
- Pelvic floor function/retraining
- Manual therapy
- Muscle release and retraining
- Post-partum ‘return to activity’ exercise based rehabilitation as needed
- Postural Correction
Raechel John, Registered Physiotherapist – Vancouver
Raechel’s Story: From a young age, Raechel has been fascinated and amazed by the human body. Her passion to help and empower people to achieve their personal health and wellness goals drew her towards a career in physiotherapy. After experiencing the transformation of pregnancy and motherhood with the birth of her two children, Raechel developed a special interest in helping women navigate the changes the body goes through during this period. Raechel’s goal is to provide you with care which will allow you to function as independently and successfully as possible in a way which is meaningful to you.
- Bachelor of Human Kinetics, University of British Columbia – 2000
- Master of Physical Therapy, University of Toronto- 2003
- Manual Therapy Level 3
- Pelvic Floor Therapy Levels 1 & 2
- Post-graduate studies in pre & postnatal management, cardiorespiratory interventions, neurological treatments, orthopaedics and visceral manipulation
Areas of Special Interest:
- Prenatal and Postnatal management
- Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
When not at work: Raechel enjoys running, yoga and spending time outdoors with her husband and two young daughters.
...Client testimonial... Raechel is like an angel.