In-Home Physiotherapy Can Help Relieve the Symptoms of Vertigo
Vertigo is the complaint of dizziness, often reported as the room spinning, caused by vestibular (inner ear) dysfunction or cranial nerve dysfunction. It affects 42% of adults over their lifetime. Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) is the most common cause of vertigo. It is caused by crystals that break free from the utricle and float freely in the inner ear. Other causes of dizziness include vestibular migraines, cervicogenic vertigo (upper neck dysfunction), vestibular neuritis, Meniere’s disease, concussion, perilymphatic fistula, and vestibular Schwannoma.
Vertigo Symptoms Can Make Leaving the Home Difficult. Get Physio Treatment at Home.
Physio2U’s physiotherapy treatment for BPPV is very effective and involves specific head and body movements to assist in the movement of the crystals in the inner ear. The direction of movement will depend on the affected ear. The maneuver lasts approximately 3-5 minutes and will be repeated 2-4 times during your appointment. Symptoms are often aggravated by the treatment but by then end of your first session you will feel considerably better.
We will provide through assessment using advanced technology Fonzi goggles.
- Teaching of vertigo management strategies
- Manual therapy
- Gentle stretches and exercises
- Posture and breathing corrections
- Activities to improve balance
What to expect
- The physiotherapist will come to your home, office or any other location that is convenient to you!
- The therapist will need to ask you questions about your health history and current problem or injury. You can expect this to take 10 to 20 minutes.
- As physiotherapists are licensed-health care professionals and are legally required to take real-time notes for medical-legal purposes, the therapist will be typing on a computer or tablet using our secure electronic medical records system during your session. The servers for our electronic records system are in Canada.
- Please have ready any doctor’s referral note, diagnostic imaging reports or your list of medications handy.
- The therapist may need about 4 x 8 feet of space to set up the portable bed to provide a thorough assessment.
- The therapist will need to put their hands on you. It is a good idea to wear shorts or a sleeveless top to provide the best assessment and treatment possible.
- The therapist will likely prescribe home exercises and make recommendations for making you feel better. It will be important for you to follow this advice for achieving optimal outcome.
- The assessment session will last 1 to 1.25 hours. Treatment sessions are 50 minutes to 1 hour long.
- Please note that the time required to conduct requested or necessary communication to doctors, family members or third parties will be included in your 1-hour session.